Phase Two- South Shields New Transport Interchange
The second phase in the regeneration of South Shields will see the enhancement of travel not only to and from South Shields but also within the town with the development of a new consolidated transport interchange which will include a new, relocated Metro station and bus facilities.
The new transport interchange will make the town centre far more accessible and with greater connectivity with the Foreshore and Riverside areas enabling South Shields to develop as a visitor and tourist destination, further boosting the local economy.
The new South Shields transport interchange has been developed in conjunction with transport operator Nexus and the North East Combined Authority.
- New and improved Metro Station
- Enhanced entrance on Fowler Street
- Improved station access with more lifts and new escalators
- Full enclosed bus terminal with seating
- Increased passenger safety within bus terminal
- 14 bus stands, 1 coach stand and 1 drop off/coach point
- Improvements to bus routing within the town
- Improvement to Coronation Street bus stops
Planning applications for the Transport interchange was approved by South Tyneside Council’s Planning Committee in November 2015 and work is expected to begin in early 2018.
This phase of the regeneration of South Shields will also see wider transport improvements in the Town, with improved accessibility to and within the Town coupled with greatly increased passenger safety.
- All Buses will now enter the new Interchange via Fowler Street.
- Chapter Row and Church Way will become pedestrianised areas.
- Traffic calming on Keppel Street and Waterloo Square will enable pedestrian friendly routes and provide better links to King Street. There will be restricted access to buses and taxis.
- Keppel Street and Waterloo Square will become shared streets with communal waste shelters, improving the appearance of the area.
- Keppel Street taxi rank will be retained.
- Bus stops on Coronation Street will be improved, serving the east part of the town including the Word, the Market Place and ASDA.
- Junction improvements will be incorporated on Station Road, Crossgate and Garden Lane.
- The improved transport plan will see increased parking provision for motorists, with a new car park on Waterloo Square.